Terms and Conditions
- Classroom Instruction and Related Activities (such as handouts, presentations, research, and student assignments).
- Display or performance as part of a noncommercial scholarly or educational presentation (such as in seminars, classes, lectures, conferences, exhibits, workshops, or similar noncommercial educational and scholarly activities).
- Student or faculty portfolios, term papers, theses, and dissertations that are access-restricted and password-protected, so that only Authorized Users can view the works. If you wish to publish your work in an academic or scholarly publication, separate permission is required.
- Course websites for review and study purposes, provided these sites are not publicly accessible on the web, but rather access-restricted and password-protected, so that only Authorized Users can access the site.
- All commercial use is prohibited.
- Any use that is not educational or scholarly (such as reproductions in alumni materials, in advertisements, or in donation solicitation)
- Making content available to a third party for commercial uses
- Posting content on an unrestricted website or in a publication made available on the world wide web without access restrictions (such as posting a RISD Museum collection image on a personal or course website that is not password-protected and access-restricted, or posting a dissertation or other materials containing RISD Museum content on a website that is not password-protected and access-restricted).
- Reproducing content from the RISD Museum’s collection in a publication that is distributed without access restrictions to the public, or providing it to someone else who makes it available to the public (such as providing content to a scholarly or commercial press for publication without obtaining necessary permissions from all copyright owners).
- While the RISD museum provides images for educational use or personal scholarly research at no charge, a fee may be charged if new photography is required to fill the request. In these instances, new photography is available pending curatorial approval.
@2100 pixels on the long dimension
There are works in the RISD Museum collection that have not been photographed. In these cases, new photography is available pending curatorial approval. While the RISD museum provides images for educational use or personal scholarly research at no charge, a fee may be charged if new photography is required to fill the request. The possibility of new photography is determined by the curatorial staff of the RISD Museum.
Digital images of our collection are made available only to collegiate faculty, students, and scholars for the sole purpose of classroom instruction, scholarship, and study in accordance with the Fair Use and Teach Act 2002 provisions of the U.S. copyright law. All other use is strictly prohibited and subject to copyright infringements.
Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- Contact Name
- Contact mailing address
- Contact email
- Publication/Project Title
- Publication/Project Description
- Object Artist/Maker
- Object Title
- RISD Museum Number