The RISD Museum can provide can provide digital images from its collection for educational presentations, professional research, personal study, print and electronic publications, and on-line distribution.
Terms and Conditions
All requests must be submitted in writing and are subject to review. The Museum will only consider requests to use or reproduce images of objects in its collection if they are for scholarly, educational, or other non-commercial purposes and if they comply with U.S. and International copyright laws. Permission is granted at the sole discretion of the Museum.
- Licensing: All publishing or on-line distribution of images must be licensed by the Museum through individual agreements between the Museum and the user. Fees may apply based on the use and availability of image formats required for the project.
- Service Time: While every effort is made to complete your request in a timely manner, most requests require three to four weeks review and complete. Based on the information you provide, and the availability of existing photography, your request can be delayed beyond our standard service time.
- Delivery: The Museum provides digital files sent to the User through a file sharing service for quick delivery. Other arrangements are available upon request.
- Media Availability: Please note there are artworks in the Museum’s collection not photographed. In these instances, new photography is available pending curatorial approval.
- Copyright Overview: The Museum recognizes it holds works of art in the collection protected by copyright law and makes every attempt to comply with existing U.S. and International copyright law regarding the distribution of reproductions of protected works in the collection.
The Museum retains rights to all visual forms taken of its collection objects, exhibition installations, educational programming and Museum organized events. The Museum reserves the right to photograph copyright-protected works in the collection and distribute Users should be aware that the media made available might be subject to additional restrictions, including but not limited to Copyright and the Right of Privacy, of parties other than the RISD Museum.