Double-Handed Drug Jar (Orciuolo) with Oak Leaves and Leaping Hare
Unknown artist, Italian, Italy; Florence
Double-Handed Drug Jar (Orciuolo) with Oak Leaves and Leaping Hare, ca. 1430-1460
23.5 x 25.4 x 20.3 cm (9 1/4 x 10 x 8 inches) (maximum)
Museum Works of Art Fund 43.351
This large two-handled jar (orciuolo) decorated with oak leaves and a leaping hare is of the type made for the pharmacy of the Arcispedale di Santa Maria Nuova in Florence, a hospital founded by the Portinari family. Signed with an asterisk at the base of one of the handles, it was most likely produced by the workshop of Giunta di Tugio, who is documented as having delivered over a thousand maiolica wares to the hospital around 1427–1431. The patterning of leaves and dots indicates the influence of ceramics imported to Spain from Moorish sources and then disseminated throughout Italy.