Board of Governors
The RISD Museum Board of Governors provides oversight of the RISD Museum on behalf of RISD’s Board of Trustees and assists and supports the Museum in fulfilling its mission to acquire, preserve, exhibit, and interpret works of art and design representing diverse cultures from ancient times to the present.
Below is a listing of current members of the RISD Museum Board of Governors for the 2020 – 2021 term.
J. Scott Burns, Chair *
Karen Hammond, Vice Chair *
Andrew Green, M.D., Vice Chair
Norman Chan (RISD BArch 1985) *
Joseph A. Chazan, M.D.
Hannah Metcalf Childs
Glenn M. Creamer
Erica Di Bona *
Robert W. Glass *
Paula Koffler Granoff (RISD Hon. Doctorate, 2010) +
Pauline C. Metcalf (RISD Hon. Doctorate, 2010) +
Stephen Metcalf +
Meghan Reilly Michaud (RISD BFA 2001, Graphic Design)
Helene J. Miller
Ehsun Mirza, M.D.
Daniel Murray, Esq.
Toots Zynsky (RISD BFA 1973, Sculpture)
* denotes RISD Trustee | + denotes Emeriti RISD Trustee
Jane Chace Carroll +
Kathryn M. Parsons
+ denotes Emeriti RISD Trustee
- Ex Officio
- Kent Kleinman
Chair of the RISD Board of Trustees
John W. Smith
RISD Museum Director
RISD President, RISD BFA 1976, Industrial Design
Fine Arts Committee
The Fine Arts Committee (Committee) is appointed to assist the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) Museum (Museum) Board of Governors (Board) in overseeing the growth and evolution of the Museum’s collection.
- Advise the Museum Director and Museum Staff on and approve all acquisitions, including both purchases and gifts (including partial and promised gifts); deaccessions; and incoming and outgoing loans.
- Advise the Museum Director and Museum Staff on all other issues of collection care.
- Periodically review the Museum’s Collection Management Policy and Code of Ethics.
- Approve any exceptions to the Museum’s Collection Management Policy; this power may be exercised by the Chair of the Committee jointly with the Museum Director.
- Monitor progress on those Board-approved goals relating to the Committee’s responsibilities.
- Perform such other, related duties as the Committee or Board deems necessary or appropriate.
- Establish, annually review, and update as needed a work plan for carrying out the Committee’s responsibilities.
- Annually review and reassess the adequacy of the charter and the Committee’s performance and effectiveness.
- Recommend any appropriate actions for consideration by the Executive Committee.
Below is a listing of current members of the RISD Museum Fine Arts Committee.
- Fine Arts Committee
Andrew Green, M.D., Chair
Lindsey Beal °
J. Scott Burns, Esq. • *
Joseph A. Chazan, M.D. •
Paula Koffler Granoff, Hon. D. • +
Juana I. Horton
Judy Mann •
Stephen Metcalf • *
Rebecca (Becky) More
Alfred T. Morris, Jr.
• denotes Museum Governor | ° denotes RISD Faculty | * denotes RISD Trustee | + denotes Honorary RISD Trustee
- Non-voting Ex Officio Members
- Kent Kleinman (RISD Provost)
Rosanne Somerson (RISD President, RISD BFA 1976, Industrial Design)
John W. Smith (RISD Museum Director)