The RISD Museum is recruiting volunteer educators, also known as docents, to lead guided visits of the museum for varied audiences. Accepted applicants will engage students, youth and adults in conversations and activities that will support close looking and the development of critical thinking, problem solving, and creative interpretation.
This is a two-year term commitment beginning September 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through July 10, 2023. A select number of applicants will be invited to interviews. Accepted applicants will be notified in late July. Training starts in September.
Distinguished by its relationship to Rhode Island School of Design, the Museum educates and inspires artists, designers, students, scholars, and the public through exhibitions, programs, and publications. The RISD Museum is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can learn and create.
With the goal of increasing the diversity of the museum profession, we recognize and value diversity as central to excellence. Experience with and strong interest in working with the range of communities in Providence and Rhode Island is preferred, as well as other areas of relevant experience or expertise, such as knowledge of Spanish.
As a volunteer educator you will:
- Participate in a period of initial training for 8 months in art history, museum teaching, and in understanding museum audiences and learning starting in September 2023
- Learn about the RISD Museum’s collection of art and design and benefit from knowledge and experience of museum staff
- Commit to a two-year term with the possibility of renewal
- Attend ongoing training sessions (held Thursday afternoons 4:30-6pm; occasional Tuesdays 1-3pm; and occasional weekday mornings on Tuesday, Wednesday or Fridays in January-May 2024)
- Develop skills in planning, teaching, research and collaboration
- Prepare and offer at least 20 tours per year that support the goals of the RISD Museum’s guided visit programs for students, adults, and for camp, afterschool and youth groups
- Participate in a community of committed educators
- Enjoy free admission and access to museum programming
- Enjoy access to RISD Library, RIPTA bus transportation, parking discounts
Questions? Please email email@example.com